Job Scope: Onshore/ Offshore Taxonomy and Environmental Survey on a worldwide basis
Main Role: The Benthic Taxonomist will undertake macrofaunal analysis within the taxonomic laboratory. This role also involves, organisational, report writing and field sampling components. This position may require offshore work of between 60-100 days per annum.
- To ensure that all onshore and offshore activities are carried out with the highest regard to the health and safety of all involved and to the protection of the environment and prevention of pollution.
- To ensure that all work is undertaken to the highest quality and professionalism, in accordance with the company Integrated Management System and project specific documentation.
- To identify personal training needs, bring them to the attention of Operations and to take full advantage of the training opportunities provided.
- To perform macrofaunal analysis and assist Senior Benthic Taxonomists as required.
- To participate in field surveys and to be responsible for correct mobilisation and demobilisation of projects, including adherence to the IMS.
- To attend job start-up meetings and survey de-briefings as required.
- To prepare sampling equipment and sample storage methods in advance of the job start-up, and in conjunction with the Senior Environmental Scientist and the Fugro Logistics Department to ensure that the necessary equipment arrives at the vessel in time for efficient mobilisation
- While on shift to take an active part in the sample acquisition work (i.e. grab sampling, water profiling and sampling, video/stills operations), and to ensure correct curation of environmental samples as they are obtained.
- To interpret physical, biological and chemical data using spreadsheets and specialist statistical programs such as PRIMER (full training will be provided).
ESSENTIAL: Qualified to degree level in Marine Biology/ Oceanography or related discipline
DESIRABLE: MSc in Marine Biology/ Oceanography or related discipline and/ or alternative vocational education / experience
ESSENTIAL: Some relevant experience in benthic taxonomy
DESIRABLE: 2+ years experience in taxonomy. Field survey experience in Marine Biology/ Oceanography. Use of grab samplers/ water samplers/ water profilers/ underwater cameras desirable.
ESSENTIAL: Good inter-personal skills. Good command of written English relevant to production of technical documents. Good communicator in both verbal and written form.
DESIRABLE: Attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL: Must be a team player who shows commitment to meeting all targets and deadlines. Personable character able to work well with clients, superiors, peers and subordinates.
ESSENTIAL: Prepared to work on an office based contract with between 60-100 days per year offshore (this flexible depending upon the applicant).
When required prepared to follow up offshore work with periods of office reporting before taking accrued leave. Available to work in the Great Yarmouth office.
What we offer
Fugro Survey Limited is an equal opportunities employer, offering the following:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Health Scheme
- We encourage Continuing Professional Development
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.